Sustainability is at the heart of everything we do at Ikurangi. Our dream is to create a place where visitors to our beautiful island can leave feeling like they’ve been a part of something that positively impacts our environment, community and economy. We want our guests to take on some of the Ikurangi way of life in their sustainability journey back home.
We believe that Ikurangi Eco Retreat is an excellent template for how sustainability can work commercially in our growing tourism industry.
- Luxury Safari tents built on shallow foundations to minimize our effect on the land
- Chemical free and plant based products for cleaning and guest toiletries
- The reuse of wastewater to irrigate our organic gardens
- Our tents feature modern composting toilets
- Low-energy light bulbs in all rooms
- Recycling & composting initiatives
- Salt water swimming pool
- Rooms built to encourage natural ventilation, no air-con
- Cloth shopping bags for guests use
- Bicycles for all guests to use free of charge
- Initiatives to limit single-use packaging including sourcing locally and bulk
- We believe in a living wage for all people and this is reflected in our staff salaries
- We encourage our team to develop professionally and support initiatives for personal and professional development
- Ikurangi Eco Retreat is deeply rooted in our local community supporting and sponsoring non profit activities around Rarotonga
- Our suppliers are local artisans. We love working with family owned businesses who lovingly hand craft the materials and delicious treats you enjoy at Ikurangi.
- We are committed to the economic sustainability of our property. By applying good business practice and using industry mentors, we are able to contribute better to the Cook Islands economy
What our guests can do
- When you book direct on our website, you help us to grow as a business and increase our ability to contribute more to our local community
- Upon check out guests are asked to participate in our Mana Tiaki programme, a way to give back financially to our environment and community. 100% of all donations go to Te Ipukarea Society
- We encourage our guests to support local businesses by eating , shopping and playing around Rarotonga
- Volunteer- we will happily arrange volunteer opportunities for you to contribute time to a local non profit
- Continue your sustainable journey when your holiday ends- we invite you to take on some of our principles and parctices in your daily life which contribute positively to our earth